Support for Thomas Cook staff and customers

Written on .

Citizens Advice services across Greater Manchester have issued clear and practical information and advice for employees and customers of Thomas Cook following the announcement from the UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) that the company had "ceased trading with immediate effect".

“The collapse of Thomas Cook is clearly a worrying time for its customers and its staff. Holidaymakers will no longer be able to travel with the company - but you might be able to get a refund depending on what and how you booked.

“If your holiday booking is ATOL protected then the Civil Aviation Authority will arrange a refund.

“For people who have booked their holidays independently, you’ll need to contact any other companies you’ve made any bookings with - hotels, transfers etc - as you’ll still be liable for those bookings. Check the terms and conditions to see if you can cancel without being charged.

“If your booking isn’t ATOL protected you might be able to get money back through your insurance, credit or debit card issuer or through PayPal. Other elements of your holiday which you booked independently and can still be provided, won’t be covered by these payment schemes but you could check with your insurance provider.

“Staff who work for Thomas Cook need to make sure they seek independent information and advice on their situation. The Government have issued advice about claiming money owed.

“Anyone wanting to seek advice can contact their local Citizens Advice directly. Information on their local Citizens Advice can be found on the website here.”

Rachel Howley, from Citizens Advice Greater Manchester

If you are a Thomas Cook customer

If you are a Thomas Cook employee: